I made a poached egg the old-fashioned way for breakfast this morning, served over steamed mustard greens. Mustard greens are so weird tasting! I don’t think I really like them. But they have massive amounts of vitamin K and loads of other healthiness, so I guess I can get myself to eat them occasionally – especially if they’re coming from my local Master Gardeners garden like these did.
Old Fashioned Poached Egg Recipe
- Toss a mason jar ring into your cast iron skillet.
- Fill the skillet up with water to just barely above the top of the ring.
- Bring the water to a simmer (that spot where tiny bubbles are coming up and you’re sure it’s about to start boiling at any second).
- Gently crack the egg open into the ring.
- Take pictures of it for 20 seconds. Or not. 😛
- Put a lid on it and move the skillet to a cool burner.
- Wait 4-6 minutes for a still runny yolk.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon.